Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What happened to our Television shows ???

(Image credit Photo)

Long gone are the days we 70s, 80s and 90s babies enjoy a healthy dose of Good African American Television. I remember growing up watching a Different World, which made me want to attend an HBCU, watching Living single and wanting to be a powerful Attorney like Maxine Shaw, and even watching the Fresh Prince of Bell-air and wanting to be rich like the Banks. My kids can't enjoy the same joy I got from watching those classic shows because they have nearly become extinct and for what reason many of us really don't know. One key reason can be the excessive influx of reality television plaguing our stations such as Hip Hop Wives, Basketball wives, Football wives and so on. Its genius for the networks because they can pay a cast of reality show participants little to nothing and get major ratings and advertisement.  While well educated and experienced actors and actresses get thrown to the back of the bus.
Sadly this is what the future generation will continue to see on television.




2 comments:

  1. So true. One by one, actual television shows are dying out and it's not only because of the television networks. They realize that there's a huge market for reality television. We eat it up. We love all the drama. The more popular reality shows become, the more television networks continue to randomly create them out of thin air. And we just keep getting "dumbed down shows" without us realizing it. I fear for the future generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t even know where to begin with this post. You have stated ALL THE FACTS!!! Our kids are now thinking that it is okay to engage in this type of behavior. You have more people today idolizing these reality stars then idolizing positive successful people. For example, today I had a client telling me everything that happened on "Basketball Wives LA", but turned right around and before bed and said “Ms. Jones is Obama a Democrat or Republican?"......all I could do was shake my head in disbelief..... But I do like that last picture..."Have you ever seen trash out the bag...well there it is lol.....

    ReplyDelete